Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 1998 08:07:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      George Uhl <uhl@mamba-e.gsfc.nasa.gov>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it
Subject:   MSS faulure using Luigi's Driver

I sent the following message a week ago but didn't get a response
so I'll repost it again. 8^{)

--

> From owner-freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG Mon Aug 24 17:31 EDT 1998
> From: Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
> Subject: Re: MSS failure using Luigi's Driver
> To: uhl@mamba-e.gsfc.nasa.gov (George Uhl)
> Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 21:18:25 +0200 (MET DST)
> Cc: freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, uhl@mamba-e.gsfc.nasa.gov
>
> > I've got a Toshiba Tecra 730 laptop and I've config'ed
> > the built-in sound card to use the pcm driver in
> > non-pnp mode.  The kernel config file command:
> >
> > device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 5 drq 0 flags 0x0 vector pcmintr
> >
> > A dmesg yields:
> >
> > pcm0 at 0x530 irq 5 drq 0 flags 0xa400 on isa
>
> i believe that the card has two dma channels, so you should set flags
> to 0x11 or 0x13 and see how things work.
>
> BTW you did not say which OS release are you using, and
> why did not use PnP . It would also help to know what chipset is used
> on your card. Some laptops use the Yamaha chipset which seems to work
> fine on my libretto.
>
> > Is this just a low-budget card issue, or is it a misconfiguration
> > on my part?
>
> 1) misconfiguration
> 2) the single-dma-channel code paths in the driver are not well tested
>    and there is not much motivation for this since all the WSS cards i
>    know of support dual dma channel configurations.
>
> 	cheers
> 	luigi

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-multimedia" in the body of the message

Sorry.  This is FreeBSD 2.2.6.  When I first built a kernel to support
this card I enabled the PnP controller, but it could not find (or
recognize) the card.

After searching the documentation I found the chipset. :)
I'm not knowledgeable about sound cards, so I'll just quote the
docs: "Crystal Semiconductor CS4232, Yamaha OPL3 (YMF262), and
Yamaha D/A converter (YAC512) compabible with Windows Sound
System and Soundblaster Pro".

OK then, I configured with the flags set at 0x11 and I got the same
result faster than when the flags were set at 0x0.  However, things
were stable with the flags set at 0x13 for an hour or so but
eventually this failed too with the same error message.  I did not
include an additional error message in my first note so here it
is:

/kernel :timeoute flushing dbuf_out.chan cnt 0xff00 flags 0x000002c1

Also, I cannot seem to transmit audio using vat with this card
configuration and the input volume control doesn't affect anything.
Is it the card or is it vat?  One more thing - the volume level from
this card is very low, I used xmix to up the dsp level to the max and
turned the volume of my speakers way up to get an acceptable volume.

Thanks,
George Uhl