Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 09:48:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weird kernel problem

Hi,
  Had a machine on which top hasn't been working for a while. I thought
maybe I'd not rebuilt the system properly, so I brought it and another
machine up to date with 4.2S yesterday. Did make world on both and rebuilt
their kernels, both from the same config file. They should both be the
same after that, right?
  Now both are rebooted top still fails with "top: nlist
failed". Strangely, in memory the kernel is rather large:

# kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    2 0xc0000000 40000000 kernel
 2    1 0xc3689000 4000     logo_saver.ko

Whereas the machine on which top works seems to have a more proper size:

# kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    3 0xc0100000 1e2648   kernel
 2    1 0xc29b1000 4d000    nfs.ko
 3    1 0xc2a53000 4000     logo_saver.ko

The top command, all it's shared libraries are exactly the same on both
machines. The ps command works, but swapinfo fails with:

swapinfo: undefined symbol: _numvnodes

Looking at a ktrace of top and swapinfo, they get an error on kldsym:

   753 swapinfo CALL  kldsym(0,0x1,0xbfbff178)
   753 swapinfo RET   kldsym -1 errno 2 No such file or directory

  What could be causing this?
  Cheers.

Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Academic Information Services, Clifford Whitworth Building,
Salford University, Manchester, M5 4WT, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key