Date:      Sun, 09 Mar 1997 11:45:53 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone on the list who can check-in the bt848 driver?

The tuner code needs to be generalized before it can be generally available.

o support STB vs WinCast we should try to make as easy as possible to
  identify the various tuners. I know that that the linux driver does
  this or it attempts to do it. A similar scheme plus assistance from
  the application should be provided. For instance, if the driver
  fails to recognized the appropiate tuner, the application should
  provide an option to chose the correct tuner.

o the open call now ignores a second open so a second application can
  alter the video capture parameters for the first client.
  We should probably adopt a minor version scheme to isolate tuner
  specific control from the video capture driver.

o Broadcast vs Cable Broadcast. At the very least the application should
  provide a mechanism to chose from either.

o Whenever possible we should not alter the meteor device structure ,
  all required changes should be isolated to the bt848 driver.

So I really would like to have the base driver checked in so others
can start working on the driver. If this is a thorny situation please
check in whatever you guys feel like . I am really too busy with work
to manage this effort;hence, what a wonderful opportunity for you guys 8)

I will be out of town all this week and I expect to come back Friday.

Now is back to work over here...

	Have fun,
	Amancio