Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2001 12:29:38 -0700
From:      "Craig R" <craigery13@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATAPI CD-R/RW Suggestion

I think that burncd is a good program, and I appreciate the development of
it, but I feel that there may be a better solution for owners of atapi
burners. cdrecord is basically an industry standard, and should be able to
be used by owers of atapi burners under FreeBSD. Linux has a driver called
"ide-scsi" which emulates an ATAPI cd writer as a scsi device. This allows
the use of such mainstream programs as cdrecord. I would more than greatly
appreciate the writing of a similar driver for FreeBSD so that I can master
CDs as good (or better?) than I can in Linux.

Also, an addition to atapicd(4) that closes the cdrom tray, waits for the cd
to spool up, then mounts the cd would be nice. This saves people from
getting the error stating that the device is busy (spinning up) and having
to try to mount again. Another cool feature would be the driver detecting
that the "eject" button on the drive (if even possible) has been pushed and
then attempting to unmount it would be really handy.

Once again, I would like to emphasize that my first suggestion is in no way
intended to make the creators of burncd feel like they wasted their time. I
am only suggesting an alternative, not a replacement.

Craig