Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2001 10:13:38 +0000
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Arch question for a UDF FS driver

Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com> wrote:

>INRE: the use of the inode to generate entity id's: I'm not too
>familiar with how they are used architecturally (only that they
>exist); is there support for handling has collisions (e.g. the
>id is treated as a hash instead of a uniqueid), or otherwise
>changing the calculation used?  This would seem to me to be a
>big limitation in papches, allowing a single server to only
>support MAX(ino_t) entities.

The resource identified by a URL can be one of many entities,
depending on the Accept-Language and Accept-Charset headers, etc.
The Etag is used (by caches etc.) to distinguish between them.

I think a limit of 2^64 entities isn't going to be a big problem.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch    fanf@covalent.net    dot@dotat.at
THAMES DOVER: NORTH OR NORTHWEST 3 OR 4 VEERING NORTHEAST 5, OCCASIONALLY 6.