Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 11:30:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@alcnet.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modex support (again)

On 14 May 1999, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@alcnet.com> writes:
> > On 14 May 1999, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > > No, actually it has 1536 more pixels :) Mode Q is so named because the
> > > frame buffer is a cube of sorts (i.e. 256x256 pixels in 256 colors)
> >   Yeah, I've seen the DOS port of snes9x use that. I don't think it has
> > truely square pixels though since the screen has a 4:3 aspect ratio and
> > the resolution is 1:1...the pixels should look slightly wider than they
> > are tall.
>
> Most monitors display Mode Q with wide black margins.
>
> >   But it is linear :) The question is...is it worth including? I just did
> > a quick search on the net and found the register programming information
> > for this one (256x256x256) and another interesting linear mode
> > (296x220x256) which has almost square pixels and a slightly higher
> > resolution.
>
> Umm, no, 296x220 is smaller than 256x256.

  My bad...416 pixels smaller

> >   And if the verdict is that the extra video modes (so long as they are
> > planar) are useful, then how about some tweaked text modes? We have
> > support for a number of different rows, but I have some old patches (which
> > need updating) for extending the number of text mode columns from 80 to
> > 90.
>
> Yah. If you can make it work, I'm all for it.

  I used to use it myself on 2.2.7 and 2.2.8. I actually had submitted a
PR way back when with the patches (PR/7510). They definately
work...unfortunatly syscons has changed a bit since then so I'll have to
whip up a new set of patches. BTW, the URL listed in that PR no longer has
the old patches, someone can just close it (it's way out of date now
anyway).

  Kelly Yancey
 ~kbyanc@alcnet.com~
  FreeBSD - The Power To Serve - http://www.freebsd.org/