Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2017 10:34:32 -0700
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        LE TUTOUR Jean <jletutour@deltadore.com>, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: usb trouble cubox bsd 11 - FreeBSD 11.0-STABLE #0 r310359: Wed Dec 21 18:19:11 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2017-02-10 at 16:59 +0000, LE TUTOUR Jean wrote:
> Hello, freebsd team:
>
> Please see listing below
> I have two problems:
>

> > usb seems not work : nothing in dmesg , when I plug something in
> > usb
> > /sbin/shutdown: Permission denied.  :  I am  freebsd/freebsd
> Don't you have any idea ? It works on linux , generally, sorry
> Whith a debian  on the same plateform, no problems
>
> [...]

For shutdown, you must be root, or a member of the group 'operator' to
use the command.

I don't have time right now to dig into this too deeply, but I can add
a few comments about usb on imx6 systems...

Usb is known to work on cubox (we use the same uSOM module in products
at $work).

The usb root ports on imx6 do not recognize device-removed events for
some reason.  You can plug any device into the host port and it should
be recognized, but when you remove it the system doesn't notice.  That
means if you plug something else in, that also doesn't get noticed, and
it's stuck that way until the next reboot.  You can work around that by
plugging in a hub -- it does notice when you remove devices from hub
ports.

On the stable-11 branch, the usb host port should work, but the OTG
port is not properly configured as a second host port.  On a cubox that
would appear as only one of the slots working (I can't remember if it's
the upper or lower connector that works).

I fixed the OTG-as-host in 12-current recently (r311850), but haven't
MFC'd the fix to the stable-11 or 10 branches yet.  Maybe I can find
time to do that this weekend.

-- Ian