Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:27:16 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Bob <bob@tania.servebbs.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tared by TAR

Bob wrote:

>I went nuts, and got tar'ed and feathered with TAR. I have always used tar
>with the -M option (--multi-volume) which allows you to span more than one
>tape on a big ta archiver;  but you won't find this -M option in BSD's TAR!
>Nor will you find a proper man page, for BSD's port of gtar (gnutar) which I
>THIINK is equivalent to Linux's tar.

The manual page for gtar on FreeBSD 5.4 is about 30% longer than the one
on a random Linux system I looked at, and looks like a proper man page
to me.  It mentions -M.  Linux tar *is* gtar, though the specific
version will of course vary between different Linuxes and different
FreeBSDs.

That aside, try "info tar" for full blown gory details of gnu tar.

Also, for incremental backups, dump is easy to use, handles multi-tape
archives and incrementals, and works on Live filesystems; but it does
only work at the level of a filesystem not random directories.

--Alex