Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 1995 11:44:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@goof.com>
To:        mmead@goof.com (mmead)
Cc:        martin@victor.innovus.com, starkhome!gene@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Diskless booting - netboot.com problems?

> > > I don't think the program can support two configured network cards at once.
> > > Try compiling for only the card that you want to use to boot with.

> > It used to work fine with SMC and NE200 support.  I haven't tried it with
> > 3C503 also compiled in, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.  The probe
> > routine tries to find SMC cards, and if that fails looks for an NE2000 or
> > 3C503.

> 	Taking out support for all but one card works fine.  It appears,
> however, that it cannot find the 3C503.  I have a 3C503 on an isa slot in a
> pentium machine with a PCI bus.  It says it can't find the adapter.  I'm going
> to swap the SMC card in the 486 with the 3COM card in the Pentium and see if it
> works.  On the 486, I can load up the kernel and everything, but it dies with a
> SIOCFADDR or something like that - with the error number 6.  It's a panic in
> nfs_mountroot or somesuch.  I'm going to try a SNAP kernel and see what
> happens.

	the exact error is:

panic: nfs_mountroot: SIOCAIFADDR: 6

then it reboots - do I need to do some special

config kernel root on 198.82.168.1:/u1/mmead/rootfs/vision

 or something like that?  Thanks!

BTW - I just grabbed the 3com version that was sent to hackers today and for
some reason it sees the card but cannot talk to the bootp server... :-(  The
SMC cards can.

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead  -> Virginia Tech Center for Transportation Research -
                 -> Multiple Platform System and Network Administration