Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 1997 12:35:50 +0100 (MET)
From:      luc.lewy@vz.cit.alcatel.fr (Luc.LEWY)
To:        roberto@eurocontrol.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fetch and gethostbyname

Ollivier Robert wrote:
> I am able to resolve atena with all other tools of course.

	I've got the same problem with ircd 2.9.2
	( It's quite a bit different for me.. As in a config test, I don't
	  have a DNS.. )

	If I setup a DNS and use gethostbyname, that's okay..
	If I just have NIS entry for hosts, ircd can't resolv its hostname
	(and idem for all clients comming from the local network)

	Here, at work, with SunOS 4.1.3, no DNS , only complete NIS maps
	entry... ircd can't resolv its hostname, neither clients hostname
	(on the local network)

	Gethostbyname return an errno > 0 in this configuration, h_errno is
	set to 0 and gethostbyname() return the correct info from NIS
	database .. Very often, boggus code check 'errno'.. and not
	'h_errno' .. The correct test would be :

	if ( (hostentry=gethostbyname("foobar")) == NULL)
	{
	  /* .. test h_errno here.. */
	}
	errno=0;	/* delete this boggus return code */

	h_errno is define in /usr/include/netdb.h
	error code too..

	fifi...