Date:      Wed, 06 Mar 2002 21:30:43 +0000
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        "Jan L. Peterson" <jlp@softhome.net>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crashes on 4.5-RELEASE

In message <20020306191109.5FF92422D8@mail.flipdog.com>, "Jan L. Peterson" writ
es:
>I have not had a crash since applying this patch:
>
>-		if (space < resid + clen && uio &&
>+		if (space < resid + clen &&

>even with INVARIANTS turned off.  Nor have I seen an xl0 watchdog
>timeout.

I actually doubt that this patch could help with the panics you
were seeing. The only problem this is known to fix is one where you
have an NFS filesystem mounted, and you load an IPFW rule that
blocks outgoing NFS packets. In that situation it causes the system
to run out of mbufs which could result in a NULL-dereference in the
NFS code. You should have seen errors like "m_retry failed, consider
increase mbuf value" and much lower fault virtual addresses.

The fact that turning on INVARIANTS made the crashes go away is
much more interesting - is it possible that you might have been
using some kernel module that didn't match the kernel, and that
when recompiling the kernel with INVARIANTS you effectively fixed
this? Are you using any kernel modules? Check the output of kldstat,
as some ports/packages install modules, and these don't get updated
automatically when you buildworld.

A useful experiment would be to turn off INVARIANTS, undo this
patch, and check that the panics still occur. It's quite possible
that there is a hard-to-find bug that INVARIANTS or the sosend patch
somehow disguise, but it's worth ruling out simpler explanations
first!

Ian