Date:      Wed, 28 May 1997 16:10:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS cache?

On Wed, 28 May 1997, Annelise Anderson wrote:
> (about 200 names), using majordomo.  Outgoing mail to the list is
> rather slow (it takes maybe 20-30 minutes) and I've heard about
> running a "DNS cache" to speed things up.  I suppose this works
> by recording the ip addresses associated with the domains when they
> are acquired from (in this case) Stanford's DNS server, so they
> can be looked up locally.  Is there a software package for this?

Yes, it's called named :)

Your named.boot should look like:
;   $Id: named.boot,v 1.3 1995/03/23 08:43:02 rgrimes Exp $
;   From: @(#)named.boot    5.1 (Berkeley) 6/30/90

directory   /etc/namedb

; type    domain        source host/file        backup file

primary   0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA  loclahost.rev
cache     .         named.root

You'll need the named.root file that should already by
in /etc/namedb and you can create localhost.rev with make-localhost
(also in /etc/namedb).

In /etc/sysconfig set namedflags to "-b /etc/namedb/named.boot"

You can either re-boot at this point or just run
named -b /etc/namedb/named.boot

Add your new name server to /etc/resolv.conf and you're all
set.

With only a couple hundred hosts to cache your system should handle
it fine.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com