Date:      Wed, 4 Nov 1998 16:06:23 -0500
From:      "Larry S. Marso" <larry@marso.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-Release breaks pt0 (scanner) working under Aug. current

>From the manual, configuring xvscan involves the following:

////////
The FreeBSD version of XVScan uses the `pt' (processor type) device
driver in your kernel.

XVScan looks for the scanner on /dev/scanjet. On FreeBSD systems, this
should be a copy of the appropriate /dev/pt[0-9] device:

Note: FreeBSD SYSTEMS ONLY

   freebsd# ls -l /dev/pt[0-9]
   crw-------  1 root  wheel   61,   0 Jan 13 10:48 /dev/pt0
   crw-------  2 root  wheel   61,   1 Jan 13 10:48 /dev/pt1
   crw-------  1 root  wheel   61,   2 Jan 13 10:48 /dev/pt2
   freebsd# mknod /dev/scanjet c 61 0
   freebsd# chmod 666 /dev/scanjet
   freebsd# ls -l /dev/scanjet
   crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   61,   1 Jan 13 10:48 scanjet

Note that the /dev/scanjet device is readable and writable by everyone.
Scanner users will require read and write permissions to this device
file.

///////

this done, pre-CAM, you get the following output from the Install script:

//////
 This ScanJet device file already exists... not created
     /dev/scanjet:   Vendor: 'HP      '  Product: 'C2520A'  Type: 3 (Scanner)
     Successfully opened scanner device '/dev/pt0'
     /dev/pt0:       Vendor: 'HP      '  Product: 'C2520A'  Type: 3 (Scanner)
//////

After installing 3.0-release, I get:

//////

Device on '/dev/scanjet' is not an HP.
Found ' |Ø¿ï'.
Scanner device disabled to prevent possible overwrite.

/dev/scanjet:   Vendor: ''  Product: '|Ø¿ï'  Type: 2
*** Device file was NOT created

//////