Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 15:26:55 -0800
From:      Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   What's the state of SMP? Usable ?

I need to set up a web server that's going to get quite a lot of traffic.
I'm purchasing a TYAN dual Pentium II motherboard and I had the thought that
I might want to use 2 cpu's.

Is the SMP code reliable?

My existing web server (Pentium 200 MMX, 256M ram) runs with a load
average of 50 - jumping up to over 100 when certain cgi scripts are running.

Just by going with a single 300mhz Pentium II, I should see quite an
improvement in the load. Would 2 processors cut the load in half?

Thanks!

Joe