Date:      Wed, 03 Mar 1999 12:23:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for review: changes to if_vlan.c

Matthew Jacob wrote:

> Now I'll stir the other pot and say that performance isn't the
> issue- the issue is that there's nothing that says that strings and
> identifiers are always easier to use and/or understand than numbers.

They are a lot more extensible, though.  With strings, you generally
have to modify and recompile only the portion of the code that
implements new functionality.  The client code doesn't have to be
modified or even relinked.

John
---
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken