Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 04:53:49 -0600
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "DONGSHENG" <dongshgn@ly-public.sd.cninfo.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How can i proceed further ?

----- Original Message -----
From: "DONGSHENG" <dongshgn@ly-public.sd.cninfo.net>
To: <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2000 4:08 AM
Subject: How can i proceed further ?

> Dear Sirs,
>
> I have a notebook of NEC PC-9821 Na12/H10.
> Now i wann install freeBSD on it, so first i made a
> boot floppies of 3.5"(1.44M),and booted up the computer,
> and executed all boot files(two floppies),system prompted
> to insert floppy disk to install OS.
>
> Before above work done, i have downloaded bin98.inf and
> bin98.aa , bin98.ab,....
> and in our pure DOS environment, i used FDIMAGE command to
> copy bin98.inf to floppy disk,and inserted it into floppy
> drive. but system said "error mounting floppy fdo (/dev/fdo.1440)
> on  /dist: Invalid argument"
>
> I didn't know how to proceed further.
>
> I can affirm it was ok to boot system before starting installation
> from floppies, the problem is installation floppies.
> it should be insert floppy contenting bin98.inf first ?
> or first inserting floppy contenting bin98.aa?
> Or is there has any other problems?
>
> Thanks for your help in advance!
>
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Liu Qi Zhong
> >From China

I am pretty sure that the floppy you want to start with is the bin.aa
floppy.  I am also pretty sure that installing from floppies is the least
desirable way to install FreeBSD.  The chance of having a bad floppy is
pretty high.  If there is any way that you can get that laptop connected to
the internet you can do an FTP install instead.  (I think I would do that
rather than use floppies even on a 56k dial-up connection.)

Josh