Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 23:07:46 +0200
From:      Milan Kopacka <mkop5230@ss1000.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Out of mbuf clusters

Hallo,

I'm getting "Out of mbuf clusters" kernel panic, if there are processes in
the system dying and leaving many opened tcp sockets. Special attack ->
forking "open tcp socket and die" processes needs time under 30 sec to
bring the machine down (thousands of opened sockets).

FreeBSD 3.0 or 3.1; no special tuning of GENERIC kernel, just disabling
some hw drivers & so on. (K6/300, 64MB of memory, de0 eth driver)

In mailing lists archives I have found an advice to tune the kernel by
increasing NMBCLUSTERS. How much does it help to raise the flag higher?
I'm not talking about normal load, but about such mbuf attack from
non-root user.

Could someone explain to me, why being out of mbuf clusters is a reason to
kernel panic?

thanks

  Milan Kopacka

--