Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:34:33 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Espen Skoglund <esk@ira.uka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EFI loader problems

Espen Skoglund wrote:

> Oh, by the way, my hardware is a single CPU HP i2000, and the EFI boot
> manager tells me that its version is 1.02 [12.36A].  I'm using gcc
> 3.0.3 with a CVS version of binutils (binutils 2.11.2 seems to be
> broken for IA-64).  -STABLE is my development platform.

Yes, there is a set of nasty bugs in the FSF 2.11.2 binutils release.
As you have discovered, you need to either get the fixes (have a look at
the binutils in src/contrib/binutils on freebsd as of a week or so ago,
you need to fix ia64-asmtab.c from memory and a couple of other places)
or use the freebsd version itself.  The version in the freebsd tree
works (or used to work, I haven't tried the one that was just imported)
as a cross compiler just fine (with a bit of include file tweaking).

cd src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils
make TARGET_ARCH=ia64 DESTDIR=/usr/local/ia64 obj
make TARGET_ARCH=ia64 DESTDIR=/usr/local/ia64 depend
make TARGET_ARCH=ia64 DESTDIR=/usr/local/ia64 all
make TARGET_ARCH=ia64 DESTDIR=/usr/local/ia64 install
(you'll need to mkdir a tree under /usr/local/ia64 to keep the install paths
happy, but these binaries will cross compile just fine.)

I'm a little wary about using a top-of-cygnus-cvs-tree binutils (as we have
in -current).  We've had a track record of getting burned in ABI changes
in the past with ia64.  It is quite possible that the current version
produces executables that we cannot use. I will check this out and see.

Cheers,
-Peter