Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2001 15:33:09 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Ulf Kister <Ulf.Kister@t-online.de>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildkernel fails on behalf of config version

On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 11:19:04AM -0800, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Dec 2001, Doug White wrote:
> > Congratulations! You've just discovered that FreeBSD is not like Linux.
> > You must upgrade your userland and kernel at the same time, or you will
> > run into things like this that are meant to catch miscreants.
> >
> > Hold out your hand.  *SLAP*
>
> Uh, that might be true in current, but that better not be true about
> STABLE.

It is true. Don't run a kernel and world that were not built with
the same set of source code.

> Unless there's a note in /usr/src/UPDATING that would apply, one
> should expect to be able to make a kernel independently from world, even
> after doing a make update and getting fresher sources.

Nope. UPDATING is for stuff that would cause trouble when upgrading
where upgrading is defined as building a new world and kernel.

> I had to do a time-critical install Wednesday night, so I installed from
> 4.4-RELEASE floppies, and in /usr/src did a make update && make
> buildkernel KERNCONF=taz3 && make installkernel KERNCONF=taz3.  Had I been
> forced to also build world it would have added a good two hours to the
> install process.

This is OK if you used the 4.4-RELEASE source. If you CVSup'ed to more
recent -STABLE source, you may have problems.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's hilarious."