Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:55:46 -0500
From:      Craig Metz <cmetz@inner.net>
To:        Mike Thompson <miket@dnai.com>
Cc:        mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa), freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a router

In message <4.1.19990329115145.00a62ab0@mail.dnai.com>, you write:
>Sorry, I should have defined high-capacity better.  I would like to
>isolate a half-dozen FreeBSD servers running a custom distributed
>web application behind a router/firewall.  This is to increase
>security for intra-machine communication.  At our co-location
>facility we have a 100Mb ethernet tap to a Cisco switch/router
>combination isolating our systems on a VPN.  My question is about
>whether FreeBSD can keep up as a router (with a few firewall rules)
>between two 100Mb ethernet networks on decent hardware such as 2 PCI
>NICs and a 450 MHz PII.  From the responses it sounds like it can.

  If you're using FreeBSD as a firewall between servers and the Internet, what
really matters here is not the 100Mb/s local links but the speed of your WAN
link, because that's how much traffic is really going to move through that box.
Can FreeBSD keep up with a T1/E1 line? I'd be surprised if it couldn't. Can
FreeBSD keep up with a DS3? Given good enough hardware, probably. Faster than
that as total traffic going through the box and you need to worry.

									-Craig