Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 07:15:31 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: one problem with fxtv-0.43...

John-Mark Gurney:
 |well..  right now my only valid complaint is that after you stopped
 |recording video, and it goes on to do conversion.. it doesn't start
 |dumper video again..  which is really anoying...

Do you mean that after recording, the on-screen video doesn't start going
again?  I'm pretty sure it does if you're running direct video, but for
ximages mode (what I believe you're running), you're definitely right
there.  I'll look at fixing it.

Some of the tricks I had to pull to get an inner event loop to work have
the side effect of masking timer events, which ximages mode depends on.
The right fix is "not" to have an inner event loop; it was just a
convenience for prototyping.  I'll put this on my FIXME list.

 |the other is that it takes forever for mpeg_encode to complete.. :)

Yeah, I know what ya mean.  I'm pricing P200MMXs and K6-200s myself :-)

But before jumping processors, one thing that will doubtless speed up
encoding a great deal is for fxtv to write ppm or eyuv files that
mpeg_encode can read directly.  With 0.43, it's writing TIFFs and then
letting mpeg_encode call "tifftopnm" to convert these to PPMs which it can
understand.  I'll put this on my list for the next vers.

 |other than that.. it's really nice...  ttyl..

Cool!  Glad its working for you.

Randall