Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 18:01:09 +0100
From:      Alex <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        CorrieS@mktv.co.za
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMTP and POP3

Hello CorrieS,

Cmcz> Hello.

Cmcz> I am new to UNIX and have chosen to use FreeBSD as a learning platform.

Welcome at FreeBSD!

Cmcz> I have installed FreeBSD release 4.4 on a pentium 133MHz with
Cmcz> 16Mb ram. When logged onto the BSD box ,using telnet, I can use
Cmcz> sendmail to send a message to a user that I have created and
Cmcz> receive it over the network where I am working in windows xp. I
Cmcz> have already set up POP3 which I have downloaded from the
Cmcz> internet.  But I cannot send e-mail from my windows xp computer
Cmcz> to say a different user on the BSD box.

Cmcz> It also my be possible that sendmail is not set up correctly.
Cmcz> It is starting up without popping  up some kind of error, like
Cmcz> named or dhcpd will do.

The problem is that everything is closed to prevent open relays that
can be used for spam.

You sould be able If you add the following to the file /ect/mail/access
192.168.31       RELAY (note the missing numbers)

You also may need to update you DNS.  Then you can send mail from you
client to you server. I never did any real test from the outside, so i
don't know how to set this up. It may depend on your ISP.

Only do this for ip addresses you trust 100%!! Or you may create a
closed relay that could be used for spam.

Cmcz> My question to you guru's...
Cmcz> I know that I can always use qmail but if I want to use sendmail, can the
Cmcz> pop3 daemon receive e-mail as well as send?

This sould not be possible. SMTP is used to send mail to your
mailboxes. POP is used to retrieve it from you mail box.

Cmcz> If so and if it is my sendmail that is giving me problems, what
Cmcz> is the key elements to look for when configuring sendmail?

It bin to long ago for me to answer this.

I hope you find any of this use full.

You can find more information here: http://www.sendmail.org/

--
Best regards,