Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 20:52:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions), Greg@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com, Lehey@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com, <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   Recovering vinum Volume

I was playing around with adding some SCSI HDDs to a machine. The
machine already had two drives which are configured into a single
vinum volume. Adding the new drives caused some problems (possibly
hardware problems with wires just not connected right, or a SCSI ID of
0 seemed like it may have flipped out the aha0 driver, possible?). One
of the vinum drives was never seen at those startup attempts. Just for
completeness, before adding the new hardware, I first umount'ed the
vinum volume then issued a 'vinum stop'.

Now, from what I gather from the manpage, if the devices do not come
up properly, vinum will not write to them. So is the data on those
drives still there?

I took the system back to its old hardware configuration, but vinum
still does not come up. It reports two of the subdisks as "crashed"
and one as "up." From what it says about "crashed" on vinum(4) this
_seems_ tosay my data is still there, but I'm not sure how to get at
it. A 'stop' and 'start' does not seem to fix it, and anything
stronger than that has foreboding warnings in the manpages and could
cause me to lose the data. I'd like to be sure of what to try before I
do this.

The usual output requests:

# vinum l
Configuration summary

Drives:         3 (4 configured)
Volumes:        1 (4 configured)
Plexes:         1 (8 configured)
Subdisks:       3 (16 configured)

D scsi1                 State: up       Device /dev/da1h        Avail: 0/1003 MB (0%)
D scsi2                 State: up       Device /dev/da2g        Avail: 13/1016 MB (1%)
D scsi3                 State: up       Device /dev/da2h        Avail: 13/1016 MB (1%)

V scsivol               State: down     Plexes:       1 Size:       3009 MB

P scsivol.p0          S State: faulty   Subdisks:     3 Size:       3009 MB

S scsivol.p0.s0         State: crashed  PO:        0  B Size:       1003 MB
S scsivol.p0.s1         State: up       PO:      512 kB Size:       1003 MB
S scsivol.p0.s2         State: crashed  PO:     1024 kB Size:       1003 MB

Now for the 'messages' output, this first set is from when vinum was
stopped, then restarted after the malconfigured SCSI setup was put in
place,

Nov  1 17:31:54 backmail /kernel: vinum: unloaded
Nov  1 17:51:57 backmail /kernel: vinum: loaded
Nov  1 17:52:05 backmail /kernel: vinum: reading configuration from /dev/da1h
Nov  1 17:52:06 backmail /kernel: vinum: scsivol.p0.s0 is crashed
Nov  1 17:52:06 backmail /kernel: vinum: scsivol.p0 is faulty
Nov  1 17:52:06 backmail /kernel: vinum: scsivol is down
Nov  1 17:52:06 backmail /kernel: vinum: scsivol.p0.s2 is crashed
Nov  1 17:52:06 backmail /kernel: vinum: scsivol.p0 is corrupt
Nov  1 17:52:06 backmail /kernel: vinum: scsivol is up

The last reboot produced these messages,

Nov  1 18:59:08 backmail /kernel: vinum: loaded
Nov  1 18:59:08 backmail /kernel: vinum: reading configuration from /dev/da2h
Nov  1 18:59:08 backmail /kernel: vinum: updating configuration from /dev/da2g
Nov  1 18:59:08 backmail /kernel: vinum: updating configuration from /dev/da1h

Which produced the above 'vinum l'.

Thanks for any help.