Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 13:23:20 -0600
From:      Randy Berndt <rberndt@nething.com>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What is a good modem?

Good morning, Tom.

Remember, he is talking about buying a >> new << modem.

At 09:53 AM 1/27/98 -0800, Tom wrote:
>Sportsters are not flashable, only Couriers.

Wrong. Older sportsters (from several years ago) are not flashable. Newer
ones are.

>It is hoped that most Couriers will be flashable to ITU.  That might be a
problem.

Older couriers (way older) may have problems. Newer ones are all flashable.

>K56Flex modems are capable of auto-leveling to reach a max of 56k, but X2
>modems put out too high levels so are limited to 53k.  This seems to be
>limitation of the DSP on some of the Couriers and USR TC modems.  USR
>designed X2 to support as many USR modems as possible.  I don't know if
>the ITU will be as forgiving.

Can't comment on the 56 vs 53 part. My personal opinion is that it won't
matter, since you will probably never get above 45-48 with real-world phone
lines.

>  Sure is.  Basically all K56Flex modems are flashable.

Not necessarily, depends on chip implementation.

Remember, USR and Lucent have jumped on the ITU spec. Rockwell is nowhere
to be seen. X2 vs flex argument becomes meaningless when the official spec
is out.

Basic Advice For Buyers: READ THE BOX! Make sure the modem is flashable,
and the manufacturer guarantees a FREE upgrade to the spec when available.

I agree with one of the other posters. You can have my Courier when you pry
it from my cold, dead fingers. Sportsters, on the other hand ..... (pardon
the pun).

Randy Berndt <rberndt@nething.com>
AOS/VS, Win95, FreeBSD, WinNT, DOS, Win311:
I'm caught in a twisty little maze of operating systems, all different.