Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2013 21:01:00 GMT
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org, kevin@your.org
Subject:   Re: HP rx8620 - ia64 packages.

	From: Kevin Day <kevin@your.org>
	Subject: HP rx8620 - ia64 packages.
	Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:37:39 -0500
	To: freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org

	Hey, ia64 guys!

	I'm in the process of bringing up a few HP RX8620 systems. Has anyone tried FreeBSD on one of these bigger boxes with partitioning enabled? Does it work as I'd expect it to?

	One of the things I'm going to try to do is start building ia64 packages for one of our customers - is there a desire for unofficial ia64 packages being built regularly? Are there any estimates of how many ia64 users there are now?

	-- Kevin

welcome!

I only have rx26xx boxes.
I don't know about partitioning.

Regarding the packages, I have a desire for
an official package built to be set up again.
But somebody will have to step up to do the job.
Mark Linimon (I don't know if you are familiar
with FreeBSD/ia64 or new, so you might know
this already) was instrumental in making it work,
but he recently stepped down from whatever
ports position he held. Not sure if the new
person is willing to help with ia64 portscluster.

Last time, about 6-9 months ago, we managed to build >15k ports.

I also keep a page on browsers on ia64:
http://seis.bris.ac.uk/~mexas/freebsd/ia64/browsers.html

Regarding the users - I was told repeatedly that
I account for the majority of FreeBSD/ia64 user base.

Anyway, stay in touch

Anton