Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 12:35:32 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>, Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to test out cron.c changes? (was: cvs commit: src/etc crontab)

Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

> On Wed 2001-01-10 (21:35), Greg Black wrote:
>
> To summarise:  It is broken, we have the fix,

No.  You believe it is broken; you believe you have a fix.  Not
everybody agrees that it is broken or that any fix is required.

> > Fiddling with cron to work around incompetent sysadmins just
> > exposes the rest of us to new bugs in cron -- a program that we
> > depend on for a large range of important tasks.
>
> Here you are doing it again.  You're calling people who expect a tool to
> work in a reliable and obvious way "incompetent",

No, I'm calling people who can't be bothered finding out how
things work incompetent.

> If you hadn't noticed
> (despite my indication of the fact), I was attempting to emulate the
> style of the detraction; that's why you seem to believe I'm getting
> worked up over this.  Trust me, I'm not.

You appear to be worked up, and denials don't reduce that
appearance.

> What we haven't seen is any technical opposition to the algorithm used,
> which has been explained.  If there is a problem with it, then that
> should be determined.  My review of it indicates the OpenBSD cron
> behaviour is very specific, reliable, and obvious.

People who don't believe in the justification for the change are
not going to waste their time reviewing the implementation.  If
that's going to be done, it will have to be done by somebody who
thinks the idea makes sense.