Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 21:52:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-connect.net>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Subject:   Re: make world time???/

Hi Amancio Hasty;  On 16-Nov-97 you wrote:

>  Cool!
>

>  I am curious as for the make world time on a dual PPro system with
>  fast disks. It looks like we are very cpu bound with fast disks.
>
>       Tnks,
>       Amancio

I think it bottoms (for a FULL build) at 100 minutes or SO.
Disk I/O stops being an issue around there.
Memeory is not a problem either.

On a P6-200x2, with 256MB of RAM, a DUAL DPT 3334UW,
/usr/src/ on a 5x RAID-5 array, /usr/obj on a 8x RAID-0 array,
DPT with 64MB of RAM, we are just at 84 minutes.
This is with -pipe, noatime, async, -j8, etc.
I could not verify putting /tmp /var/tmp on mfs as the system reliably
crashes.

The ``disk'' I/O is at about 200-400 I/O per second - about 1/9th of the
capacity of such a system, memory has over 120MB of free RAM, so we are not
gaining much.  What I do NOT know, and asked before (maybe I should name
names :-), is is it CPU saturation, PCI saturation or RAM saturation?
The system reports 80-95% CPU utilization in kernel, 70-80% in user space.

I have an AMI Goliath on order.  It is supposed to have tow independant PCI
busses, on the Orion chipset.  Let's see then.

Simon