Date:         Mon, 07 Oct 96 18:39 PDT
From:      Denis DeLaRoca (310) 825-4580        <CSP1DWD@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@RAH.STAR-GATE.COM>
Cc:        multimedia@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GUS and VAT (Re: RealAudio on FreeBSD )

On Mon, 07 Oct 1996 12:26:52 -0700,
   Amancio Hasty <hasty@RAH.STAR-GATE.COM> said:
> > What does it mean when you say "vat gets behind and sound gets distor-
> > ted"? If Vat gets behind because of a processing/scheduling delay that
>
> I mean this:
> write  msec 20 delta  0 block
> write  msec 20 delta  0 block
> write  msec 40 delta  0 block
> write  msec 20 delta  0 block
> write  msec 20 delta  0 block
> write  msec 160 delta  0 block
>             ^^^^
> write  msec 1 delta  0 block
> write  msec 19 delta  0 block
> write  msec 20 delta  0 block
> write  msec 20 delta  0 block
>
> sound driver. If you noticed the highlighted 160 delta time means
> that either the sound driver failed to deliver an asynch notification
> of the read or vat failed to write a sound packet at its scheduled
> 20ms interval. It should not be too hard to determine if its the

Humm? Do we know if those deltas of 40 and 160 are when Vat has been
pre-empted? If it is pre-emption and no output queue has been built
yet -- because this is the first time Vat is being pre-empted -- a
silence gap will appear on the audio stream, but if the output queue
has been built that is enough to keep audio output continuous. This is
the self-clocking algorithm that Thomas just described.

Are deltas above being computed by watching audio writes? Should be
easy enough as you say to monitor asynch notifications and see if
any are missing. If you haven't tinkered much with vat's code outside
of the audio.cc a problem with delivery of read notifications by the
sound driver sounds plausible.

-- Denis