Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:53:10 -0800
From:      "Constantine A. Murenin" <mureninc@gmail.com>
To:        Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: virtio for 9.1-R

On 27 November 2012 13:25, Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2012, at 3:49 PM, Joe Holden <lists@rewt.org.uk> wrote:

>>> virtio appeared in stable/9 a bit after 9.1 cut off,
>>> and it is too late now regardless of virtio shape.
>>> Anyway you can installed it from ports.
>>>
>> Ah I see, doesn't really help all the people who can't install it in KVM=
 and such though unfortunately, seems silly making them wait even
>> longer and having to use Linux :)
>

> FWIW, I installed FreeBSD 9-STABLE (pre-virtio in src) in KVM, initially =
using the emulated devices and then, post-install, installed the emulators/=
virtio-kmod port and switched over to vtbd/vtnet devices without problem.  =
When virtio appeared in src, I ditched the virtio-kmod port, again, without=
 issues.

> I found making the transition to virtio devices no harder than the ad -> =
ada device transition.

> Cheers,
>
> Paul.

What's the actual reallife performance benefits from virtio?  Twofold,
threefold, more, less?

Linux-KVM web-site, http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Virtio, mentions
that they can push 1Gbps or so through the virtio network driver, but
the number seems meaningless, since no context is established of the
KVM performance prior to virtio.

Another official-looking page, http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Virtio,
fails to make any number-based sales pitch whatsoever, whereas
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Using_VirtIO_NIC likewise attempts to
show up some random meaningless numbers, still failing to establish
the context of what the performance is like without virtio.

C.