Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 12:55:57 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        gibson <pop.midmaine.com@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, gibson wrote:

[snip]
> my ppp.conf file looks like this
>
> default:
>    set device /dev/cuaa0
>    set speed 115200
>    set parity even

[snip]
> at one point I got the login prompt for my isp, and was able to
> succsessfully connect (the ppp became
> PPP)  I then typed in add 0 0 HISADDR, but what do I do at that point in
> order to start running programs like telnet and lynx?

Switch to a different screen, and open up a telnet session. I'm
assuming that you've already configured /etc/resolv.conf to point to
you ISP's nameserver.

>Well that's not the
> end of it, I have the past 3 or 4 times upon connecting been unable to type
> in the login: and password: my keyboard becomes totally impaired the point
> where my isp name shows up, some letters won't type in uppercase the enter
> key doesn't work, so I'm left wondering what it was that I did wrong.
> i should edit out the last line in the ppp.conf.

Most ISPs have no parity, and that sounds like the problem you're
having - parity mismatch.

>Well the important thing
> is how do I start those programs once I am connected and also how do I test
> to see if I am really transmitting and recieving bits to/from my isp?

If telnet works, you're ok.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>