Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 2000 12:31:15 -0700
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@sofia.csl.sri.com>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSDCon East

On Sat, 08 Apr 2000, Brett Taylor wrote:

> I'm heading over to Italy in late June for a bike tour for 9-10 days -
> anyone know any good software/books to help learn enough so I'm not
> totally lost when I get there?  I pick up languages pretty quick so I'm
> not horribly worried, but much like the little French I know, I'm lost
> after people stop talking about bike stuff.  :-)

Get one of the small books with a title like: "Italian for
foreigners", but be careful to find a decent one, otherwise you will
speak the language of my grandparents ;-)

I would like to give you some "practical tips":

Food and drink are among the best in the world :-) When you eat out,
try the local specialties, do not ask for only-for-turist food like
"spaghetti bolognese" (unless, obviously, you are in Bologna!) or
stuff like that.

Do yourself a favour and eat a pizza in Italy. Suddenly you will
realize that what is called pizza in the US has NOTHING to do with
italian pizza :-) You should choose a pizzeria with "forno a legna",
which means "wood hoven". Real pizza needs a wood hoven.

If you want a cheap meal, choose a restaurant, or better yet, a
"trattoria", without the menu in english. This often means that the
restaurant is authentic, not for turists.

We do not tip, expecially in restaurants. In Italy you tip _only_ when
you are positively impressed by the service.

Enjoy your staying in our sunny Italy :-)
Marco