Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 23:51:34 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   firewall & kernel tcp_options

Dear FreeBSDers,

I am running a 4.0-S system (as of a week ago), and I have a few
doubts about the exact meaning and interrelations of some kernel and
firewall settings.

Question I
The kernel options "TCP_DROP_SYNFIN" should (?) be equivalent to a
firewall rule like "add <rule_number> deny [log] tcp from any to any in
tcpflags fin,syn". Which of those, if any, is "better" (eg more
reliable, or efficient) ?

Question II
The kernel options TCP_RESTRICT_RST should (?) be similar to a=20
firewall
rule like "add <rule_number> deny [log] tcp from any to any out tcpflags=

rst". I seem to understand that the former *limits* the outgoing "rst
traffic"  whilst the latter *kills* the outgoing "rst traffic". Is=20
this
correct ?
Also, is the former option more "resistant" to massive attacks (scans)
?

Question III
Does it make any sense to use *all* of the following: the
TCP_DROP_SYNFIN, TCP_RESTRICT_RST, ICMP_BANDLIM kernel options; the
tcp blackhole behavio(u)r (level 2) and the udp blackhole behavio(u)r
(level 1); the log_in_vain feauture (/etc/rc.conf); and a set of
appropriate (ipfw) packet filters rules (eg dropping packets directed
to such delicate ports as 6000-6063 etc.)

Am I missing anything (else) ?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,
Salvo