Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 2003 11:09:21 +0800
From:      "Cheen Liao" <cheen@synology.com>
To:        "Dan Ellard" <ellard@eecs.harvard.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Transaction File System - a replacement of JFS

These are great information. I will check them out. Here let me try some
quick explanation to the rationale behind some decisions:

We choose postgresql is because, postgresql has true BSD license. It does
not matter if it is used for commercial redistribution or not. BDB is not.
Also postgresql has great query supports and migration supports. Users can
migrate their commercial database application over postgresql, or in the
future, TFS.

We choose VFS approach is because there are a lot of functions, from both
open source community and my company, built on VFS layers. Note that it is
more clean to run a database engine in kernel while VFS is just one way to
view the data in the database. Certainly NFS can be another way. I expect
the main challenge of the project is relying in merging the resources
managed by database engine into the kernel. Adding more interfaces to
accessing the data can be done in a later stage.

Again thank you for the information and your interest in the project,

Cheen