Date:      Thu, 07 Apr 2011 12:07:55 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: geom and removable media

on 07/04/2011 11:41 Poul-Henning Kamp said the following:
> In message <4D9D4B10.1080501@FreeBSD.org>, Andriy Gapon writes:
>> on 07/04/2011 03:09 Poul-Henning Kamp said the following:

>>> Basically yes.
>>
>> Apologies, but yes to what? :)
>
> To Both :-)

That's what I feared :-)

> Look at g_wither_provider() as a starting point.

I perceive the following problem with g_wither_provider: as I understand that
call would lead to telling all consumers of a provider that they are orphaned
now, and geom_dev rightfully destroys its cdev on such an event.  So I see the
following effect: remove a disk from a CD drive -> /dev/cdX disappears.  Which I
don't think would a right thing in the current world order where /dev/cdX
represents both the drive and its media.

--
Andriy Gapon