Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 2015 20:47:08 +0300
From:      Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial@gmail.com>
To:        Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
Cc:        Chris Anderson <cva@pobox.com>, stable-list freebsd <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: libopie problems after upgrade to 10.2

On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 8:40 PM, Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de> wrote:
> On 08/15/2015 20:47, Chris Anderson wrote:
>> just upgraded from 10.1-RELEASE-p16 to 10.2-RELEASE using freebsd-update.
>>
>> after the upgrade, I began getting errors because pam_opie.so.5 has an
>> unsatisfied link to libopie.so.7 (my system only has libopie.so.8).
>>
>> I notice a fresh install of 10.2-RELEASE does indeed contain libopie.so.7,
>> so I'm curious how I managed to get into this state in the first place and
>> whether it is anything I should worry about. This machine has only been
>> upgraded using freebsd-update and I'm pretty sure it started from
>> 10.0-RELEASE.
>
> I did the same update using freebsd-update and I do not have
> libopie.so.8 that should not be in any 10.X-RELEASE.
>
> libopie.so.8 was in stable/10 shortly after 10.0-RELEASE, but was set
> back again to libopie.so.7 between 10.1-RC1 and 10.1-RELEASE:
>
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/releng/10.1/lib/libopie/Makefile?view=log&pathrev=273169
>
> Your problem was probably not introduced during the 10.1-RELEASE to
> 10.2-RELEASE upgrade but earlier.
>
> I have a system that had just about every BETA, RC, and RELEASE starting
> from 9.0-RC1 using freebsd-update binary upgrades only, including some
> BETA or RC of 10.1 with libopie.so.8... that system has only
> libopie.so.7 now as it should have. Maybe you forgot the "removing of
> old libraries" step of "freebsd-update install" after "freebsd-update
> upgrade" around 10.1-RC3, because you did not expect it on a stable branch?
>
> Cheers,
> Jan Henrik

As far as I know freebsd-update(8) should handle the obsolete files
automatically, it's only when you're building from source you have to
remember to do 'make delete-old delete-old-libs'. If freebsd-update(8)
fails to delete the obsolete files it's a flaw in it that should be
reported with a PR.

-Kimmo