Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 1996 17:55:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jean-Paul Nuytten <jnuytten@penn.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation Problems

I just acquired FreeBSD from Walnut Creek CDROM along with the book "The
Complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehley.  I have 2 EIDE hard drives; 1.2 GB
(C:) which contains Windows 95 and 2.6 GB (FreeBSD partition, D:, E:).
The FreeBSD partition is within the first 1024 cylinders, D: is a
primary DOS partition which starts after the FreeBSD partition and E: is
an extented DOS partition.  To make matters worse, I have a Promise 2300
EIDE controller.  I am trying to install using a DOS partition and have
a directory on D: called FREEBSD with the distribution directories under
it.  After making a FreeBSD bootable diskette and booting the FreeBSD
installation procedure (using the Novice installation option) I am have
problems loading the distribution.  I seem to be reading the
distribution from the DOS partition OK, but I am getting write errors "Write
failure transferring dists".

Secondly, I have an IDE 8X CDROM (it came with the Creative Labs Sound
Blaster 32PNP).  The book says that I should make a boot floppy using
the atapi.flp loader but I can't find that file on my distribution
CDROM.  Where can I get this file so that I can install from CDROM
directly.

Thanks in advance for your prompt attention to my questions.

Regards,

	J-P
Jean-Paul Nuytten                      Email:  jnuytten@penn.com
RD #3, Box 359A                        Tel:    814-641-0198
Huntingdon, PA USA 16652               FAX:    814-641-0199