Date:      Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:34:08 -0800
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordon@tetlows.org>
To:        Sergei Kolobov <sergei@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cfengine vs. cfengine2

--------------enigF7021086B526C7375B49619E

Sergei Kolobov wrote:

>(sysutils/cfengine and sysutils/cfengine2 port maintainers cc'd)
>
>Hello,
>
>I would like to get your feedback on idea of deprecating cfengine port
>in favour of newer cfengine2 port.
>
>After all, the former is at version 1.6.3, and the latest function change
>was this:
>
>----------------------------
>revision 1.24
>date: 2002/07/29 20:47:37;  author: gordon;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -1
>Update cfengine MASTER_SITES
>
>Note this was almost 3 years ago.
>
>I think we could first add NO_LATEST_LINK to the cfengine port
>so users can pkg_add -r cfengine to get the latest version
>and then mark the port as DEPRECATED with some date - say 3 or 6 months
>in the future.

I'm happy with the NO_LATEST_LINK idea. I would prefer a nice long
DEPRECATED period (6 months at least). If you would like to make these
changes, please go ahead, I don't actually have a ports commit bit.

>Any thoughts, objections?
>Is cfengine 1.x still in use somewhere?

The thing with cfengine is once it's setup, you leave it running
forever. I believe that changing from 1.x to 2.x was very difficult
which is why the old version is still around.

-gordon