Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 22:20:38 -0700
From:      Manfred Antar <mantar@netcom.com>
To:        "John L. Sackett III" <jsackett@jsackett.slip.rtd.com>, "freebsd-smp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        jsackett@rtd.com
Subject:   Re: Temp. Monitoring Software for Intel Providence mobo?

At 09:43 PM 6/15/98 -0700, John L. Sackett III wrote:
>Seth Leigh wrote:
>
>> Hi all.
>> I know a few people have bought Intel PR440FX Providence dual PPro
>> motherboards recently, as have I.  My machine is up and running just great
>> now.  I want to be able to monitor the temperatures of my two PPro cpus.
>> Does anyone know if there is any software available already that can talk
>> to the motherboard's temp. sensing hardware?  If not, does anyone know
>> where I would look to find out what I would need to know to write a simple
>> program for this myself?
>>
>> If I successfully write or find some temp. software for this motherboard, I
>> will of course share it with anyone else who wants it.  I am running the
>> FreeBSD 3.0-980311-SNAP.
>>
>> Seth Leigh
>> seth@pengar.com

>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-smp" in the body of the message
>
>  Hi Seth:
>good to hear someone else is up and running on a fresh PR440FX install.  I
>bought a
>micronics li-6 because I got so frustrated trying to run NT on an IDE
>drive-Freebsd on SCSI. Everytime
>(once every 3 days) I booted it (NT)I got a BSOD. Even with SP3.  Well the
>PPro's just keep getting more affordable and i built a new box with old
>harddrive, new case, cdrom, etc.
>My question is - where did you find a VRM for the second proc?  They are hard
>to come by.   I want to go 3.0 on my Micronics board, but am having
difficulty
>finding a VRM.  Someone Quoted $52.00 from a manufacturer, but that seems
>insane when you can find the whole board for 65-70, with the second VRM mind
>you.    If you have a
>good source let me know.  I have been up on FreeBSD 3.0-980520-SNAP for about
>a week and a half now, just slicing away. Man the kernel rebuilds are speedy!

I just bought 3 of these boards that came with the VRM's for $94 each.
I didn't know they came with them, so i called INTEL and they sent me to
this page

http://developer.intel.com/design/pentiumii/components/

It's for pentium II but there is a section on VRM's and the people listed
there probably can help
you. The prices might be high though
Manfred