Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 21:19:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
To:        sohel <sohel@southwind.net>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NE2000 network Card!!!

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, sohel wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just got another machine and wants to install freebsd on it. Now i
> have couple of NIC's lying around and want to use them on the machine
> with freebsd. One is a generic NE2000 clone and the other is linksys
> ether16 card. Now Would NE2000 cards work with freebsd? How can i set
> them up? Do i need to compile a new kernel? Can i pass some parameters
> at boot time? Is there anything special i can do at the time of
> installation so that the Nic can be recognized?

Quite simple really. The GENERIC kernel has support for *ONE* NE2000 NIC
card at the following port, IRQ, etc.. :

device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 10 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr

So make sure your NE2000 is set to port 280 irq 10.
Other than that there should be ZERO problem.
You can add more if you want but the generic kernel that is installed by
default only supports one. You shouldnt need to do anything special.

> Also is it possible to use SAMBA on FreeBsd so that i can see files on
> win95+NT machines on a network? I know some of my friends use
> linux+Samba and integrated their machine with win95+NT. Can i do the
> same on Freebsd?

SAMBA runs just EXCELLENT on FreeBSD.  Far better IMO than it does on
that other OS. Its VERY simple to install and configure.

> Umm also i want to run Xwindows on Win95/NT machine and want the Freebsd
> machine to act as host. Can someone point me to the right
> direction/ftp/website/list for this purpose?

You mean run an Xserver and clients on your FreeBSD box, and fireup xterms
ONTO your windows can? No problemo. Youll need to buy an Xserver for
windows AFAIK there are no Free ones.

If you need help or detailed instructions throw me a private email, since
your using southwind.net your more than likely a stones throw from me :)

Chris

--
"Linux... The choice of a GNUtered generation."

===================================| Open Systems Networking And Consulting.
  FreeBSD 2.2.6 is available now!  | Phone: 316-326-6800
-----------------------------------| 1402 N. Washington, Wellington, KS-67152
   FreeBSD: The power to serve!    | E-Mail: opsys@open-systems.net
      http://www.freebsd.org       | Consulting-Network Engineering-Security