Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 13:09:39 +0100
From:      "Achim Patzner" <ap@bnc.net>
To:        "Vadim Klimenko" <vadim@Trans-Port.Com.UA>, <freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: HP LH 6000

>     I'm planing SQL server. I choose HP LH 6000 server with 4 P-III Xeon
CPU 5x18Gb HotSwap RAID. In future I want to > extend it to 6 CPU. I need a
SUPER STABLE server. Anyone used such configurations in FreeBSD? How It's
works? Dealer > told me that SUN Solaris support 6 CPU greater than
FreeBSD... I don't trust him.... :) but I want 3dr party opinion.

One of our customers is running a Web application on two HP LH4. The chipset
is a
catastrophe (most _interesting_ hardware (i.e. Intel Express NICs, Mylex
controllers
etc.) just doesn't work on them (yes, HP checked both machines and told us
that the
hardware is 100% ok) (currently one of the machines is running on Realtek
8139
controllers because about anythng else causes PCI timeouts) and nothing
improved
its performance since FreeBSD 4.1...

If I had to buy another XEON server I'd build it myself around an Intel 4 or
8
XEON mainboard, Intel's casing and reliable components of my own choice.
It's
saving money and I'm not stuck with their crappy SCSI controller or their
expensive
and slow disks.

Achim Patzner