Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:59:35 -0500
From:      "Passki, Jonathan P" <jpasski@kpmg.com>
To:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, "'freebsd-ports@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: pkg_version

Thanks for all with the feedback on this.

After doing an unsuccessful port upgrade (thanks for the info, but I managed
to FUBAR my installed ports anyways :), I'm faced with a similar problem.

<rant>
Of all the understanding and interaction I do with FreeBSD, this one issue,
the issue of a seamless (or semi-seamless) upgrade of installed ports seems
to be the one I have never seen a consistent solution with.  Given my lack
of port understanding, I have no right to criticize something that I
wouldn't know how to fix, but doesn't it seem odd that upgrading
applications like this are difficult or esoteric to many people (search
archives, the question keeps on coming up).  Also, when people approach me
about the port upgrade procedures, and ask if it's better than Debian's, I
tend to say it isn't.  I love the ports, and I appreciate all the effort
people have put into porting applications and package install procedures,
but...

Maybe it's just the nature of installed ports that make them so difficult to
upgrade, but it's still  for me, a pain when there are so many dependencies
(usually XFree86 + window manager + apps related to window manager), and not
knowing what ones to do in what order, and one utility that can do all this.
There's a pkg_add(1), pkg_create(1), pkg_delete(1), pkg_info(1), and a
pkg_version(1), but not a single utility that should be called pkg_upgrade,
which does it with the most reduced effort possible
</rant>

Feel free to flame, I put on the fire retardant suit when I wrote this :)
I'm blaming most of this on myself for perhaps a lack of understanding, but
there have been many before with the same question.  Also, wouldn't this be
good advocacy to house a more robust port system?

Thanks for your ear,

Jon

is unauthorized.