Date:      Mon, 05 Apr 1999 14:53:47 -0600
From:      Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
Cc:        nicole@nmhtech.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very Interesting user of FreeBSD

Jonathan Lemon wrote:

> In article <local.mail.freebsd-advocacy/XFMail.990405122330.nicole@nmhtech.com> you write:
> >

> > I found an interesting reference that I want to look deeper into but at
> >http://bakeoff.ircache.net/bakeoff-01/ ( A Caching Server bakeoff)
> > They have a nice link at the bottom for FreeBSD.
> >
> > Now what is most suprizing to me is at
> >http://bakeoff.ircache.net/bakeoff-01/polyteam-pics/  (warning LARGE)
> >3rd picture up from the bottom has a caption that reads "Glenn and Alex loading
> >FreeBSD on the Novell cluster."
>
> Hah.
>
> Yes, both CAIDA and NLANR are using FreeBSD extensively, it's their
> platform of choice for developing polygraph (the web proxy benchmark).
> You might know them better as developers of the Squid proxy.
>
> The bakeoff used approximately 80 machines as the "test harness" for
> various vendor's proxies, and all 80 machines were running FreeBSD.
>
> > So, Novell is using FreeBSD for their Caching Solution....??
>
> No - "Novell powered by Dell" is a custom Novell system (which appears
> to beat everything else at this particular bakeoff).  But then again, the
> solution is not a general purpose OS, (as far as I can tell), so that's
> to be expected.
>
> Peregrine, on the other hand, _is_ running on a 3.1 box (with my
> tweaks) and performs almost on a par with the Novell solution on
> the same hardware.  Of course, we're running into a CPU bottleneck,
> and they're running into a network bottleneck, so it's not exactly
> a fair comparison.
>
> I was talking to the Polyteam at the conference, and what they would
> primarily like is for my changes to be folded into FBSD (which I should
> submit for review sometime soon).

Jonathan, would you like to work with one of DaemonNews'
article-writers? We could trade free promo for Peregrine for coverage of
your opinions of FreeBSD... :-) Ditto the Polygraph people. You both are
the kind of serious FreeBSD developers we (DN and WC) want to showcase
in our efforts to get more people to develop for/on  FreeBSD.
--
Don Wilde                 "Bringing the Internet to everyone!"
Wilde Media