Date:      Mon, 06 Nov 2000 16:37:59 +0000
From:      click46 <click46@mminternet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Custom Kernels and Slow Mozilla installs...

After using FreeBSD for about 2 weeks now, I've decided to delve into
compiling my own kernel. I run off an Abit BP6 with (2) Celeron 433's
and 320MB RAM. The BP6 has an onboard UltraATA 66 controller made my
Highpoint [HPT366].

With my GENERIC install, it probes on startup and atapci1 and atapci2
are "set" [?] to my Highpoint controller. Flipping through my "The
Complete FreeBSD" I couldn't find a "value" or whatnot to specifically
set for compiling my custom kernel. My questions:
1) What exactly does the stuff the probe on startup mean?
2) atapci1 & 2 are called ____
3) Is there a way to  capture the output of the probe to a text file? Do
I even care?
4) Am I wasting my time  here? I'm still not certain whether or not I
need to even care about this.  However in The Complete FreeBSD, Greg
mentions that one of the key points  to having a custom kernel is so
that  it loads faster, not having probe.

Additionally, my Mozilla M17 install from package is HORRID!!! It's dog
ass slow, [as I type, the characters take about 2 minutes to display. It
takes about 1 min to start it, then when clicking links it will hang, or
dump its core. I don't understand, I've installed and reinstalled it
many times, all with the same results.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'm looking forward to saving up
for an $80 FreeBSD jacket so I can be THE nerd on campus =)