Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 13:02:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alex Boisvert <alex@gel.usherb.ca>
To:        Tony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sunsoft swing classes

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Tony Kimball wrote:
> Quoth Nate Williams on Tue, 17 February:
> : > That's okay though. It sounds to me like it's time for someone to setup
> : > a .org domain, then start shipping GPL'ed (can lawyers sue an
> : > organization that doesn't make any money?) pluggable Look'n'Feel modules
> : > that look -exactly- like Windows95, MacOS, NextStep(why not?), etc.
> :
> : Not a smart idea.  Copyright/trademark law applies to people who don't
> : make money the same as people who make money.  Note the recent 'Boggle'
> : thread FreeBSD just went through.
> :
>
> Oh it's a *very* good idea!  An LLC with no assets is the closest you
> can get to being lawsuit-proof.  (The coders obviously incur no
> liabilities, only the publisher.)

I can't say anything for the US, but in Canada if you did that, the
administrators of the corporation WOULD be considered possible lawsuit
targets has they have a 'civil' responsibility with respect to law.

That's why administrators who fraud can be sued... and that's a very good
thing.  There's probably an equivalent concept in the US.

Wanna be the administrator, not just the coder? ;0)

Alex.