Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:07:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      kama <kama@pvp.se>
To:        brad miele <bmiele@ipnstock.com>
Cc:        freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT using smartarray +raid 0+1 to clone

I replicate OS install like this all the time, but I only use two disks
and raid1. So it should be doable if you can figure out which disks are
on the "left" and "right" side of the mirror.

Just pop those out and put them alone in the new server on the same
diskplace. When booted the server will say that diskX & Y have failed and
need to be replaced. Then pop in the next two and the mirroring will
start. once finished just boot up the machine. Its faster to leave them at
the "Press F1 to continue"  state than to boot to the OS and let the
mirror continue there.

If you don't need to have the larger dataspace, I would split the
disksetup to 2 raid 1's and have a system and a data disk. But that is
just a matter of taste. I just never use more than two systemdisks.
FreeBSD is quite happy within 36GB RAID1, even with a quite heavy used
system.

Never the less, I have never done it with a raid1+0, so dont take my word
on it to work. I merely telling you that I think it will work if you find
the correct disks.

/Bjorn