Date:      Sat, 6 Jun 1998 16:52:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        =?koi8-r?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, jseger@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache 1.3.0 port

On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, David Kelly wrote:

> =?koi8-r?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= writes:
> > Since Apache 1.3.0 just released I plan to replace apache 1.2.6 port with
> > new one, if you don't mind. Alternative variant will be to copy 1.2.6 port
> > and keep it as separate version, something under apache-1.2.6 name. Any
> > ideas?
>
> 1.3 is a major re-write akin to FreeBSD 2.2.6 vs 3.0. Please don't
> totally dispose of 1.2.6 for at least 6 months or a year until 1.3 has a
> chance to work its kinks out.

No, 1.3 is _not_ a major rewrite and the changes on Unix are probably
smaller than those between FreeBSD 2.2 and 3.0 will be.

v2.0 will be the major rewrite.

1.3 (on Unix) should be very stable when using only the feature set
present in 1.2, and quite stable otherwise.  There may well be a few
initial issues, but shouldn't be anything major.

> I like the idea of keeping an "apache-1.2.6" port.

Yes, keep a 1.2 one for now, but recommend the 1.3 one.