Date:      Fri, 2 Jan 2015 21:14:08 +0530
From:      Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB woes on freebsd-10.1-i386

Hi,

I installed FreeBSD-10.1-i386 with GNOME on my AMD Athlon computer (3.4
GHz, 1.75 GB RAM) a couple of months ago. While I am generally happy
with my OS (to the extent that I hardly ever need to boot into Windows
XP SP3), there are a couple of USB-related problems that won't go away
on my system and that I can't fix by myself.

1) My Canon PIXMA MG2470 printer does not print. Although a) all
necessary ports are installed,  b) print/cups-base has been built with
libusb, and c) the printer is recognized immediately by the system the
moment it is switched on, the list of local printers in CUPS
browser-based configuration is empty. Further, the printer - when
switched on - shows up at an indeterminate location /dev/usb/2.X.0 (X
could be 3 or 5 or 6), despite explicitly being hooked to /dev/usb/2.6.0
in /etc/devfs.rules

2) The APC UPS attached to my system is not able to shut down my system
in case of a power failure, although apcupsd.conf is configured to
initiate a system shutdown when battery level falls below 5 minutes
remaining. Running self-test with acptest succeeds with result PASSED,
but battery calibration  with apctest fails with the message "Failed to
read current battery level" despite battery level being 100% and load
being in the region of 20% (percentage figures as reported by APC
Powerchute v3.0.2 on Windows XP SP3).

Both printer and UPS work seamlessly under Windows XP SP3.

I am attaching to this message a zip archive containing :

output of 'uname -a'
list of ports installed
latest log of dmesg
copy of /etc/rc.conf