Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2012 21:52:03 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chris Nehren <apeiron+freebsd-stable@isuckatdomains.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pkgng (Was: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?)

--JbKQpFqZXJ2T76Sg

On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 04:09:53PM -0400, Chris Nehren wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 14:50:22 -0500 , Bryan Drewery wrote:
> > FWIW, there is freebsd-update(8) now for binary updating of base, and
> > pkgng[1] will allow binary upgrading of packages/ports similar to apt-g=
et.
> >=20
> > [1] http://wiki.freebsd.org/pkgng
>=20
> The thing that really has me attracted to pkgng is that it's based on a
> C library with a public API that developers can use / abuse. It's not
> (AFAIK) officially released yet, but some early work I've been doing
> with it has shown it to be useful enough.
>=20
> --=20
> Thanks and best regards,
> Chris Nehren

Do not hesitate to propose patches or bring feedback on how we can improve =
the
situation with library.

The API is public but will only be consider as stable before 2.0, because i=
t can
be greatly improved and we hope to have reviews and feedback and cleanup be=
fore
marking it stable.

regards,
Bapt