Date:               Fri, 21 Jul 1995 08:44:07 CST6CDT
From:      "John Booth" <JOHN@gab.unt.edu>
To:        amnuay muthitacharoen <amnuay@comnet.spu.ac.th>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:         Re: Limited FreeBSD Concurrent Users

>     The FreeBSD Unix that I installed from the Wallnut Creek FreeBSD
> CDROM can accommodate upto 16 concurrent users via ethernet TCP/IP .
> Is there anyway to bring the number of concurrent users up further ?

You need to re-compile the kernel with more pseduo terminals (pty's).

If you have made the kernel already DON'T copy the GENERIC over
the configure file for it.

1.  Make sure you have kernel source installed, if not install it.
2.  cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
3.  cp GENERIC name_for_your_kernel
4.  vi name_for_your_kernel       (assuming it's the editor you
                                   use vi)
                                  Goto end of file, find pseudo-device
                                  pty line, increase # to # of people
                                  you would like logged in. Save
                                  file.  I believe screen
                                  may also use pty's so it's not
                                  stricly the maximum # of people
                                  that can be logged in.  I think you
                                  can goto 64 w/o any major changes
                                  anywhere else.  I use 32 personally
                                  and have between 3 and 16 users on
                                  most of time.
5.  config name_for_your_kernel
6.  cd ../../compile/name_for_your_kernel
7.  make depend && make
8.  cp kernel /
9.  reboot your machine and the extra pty's will be available
    assuming the compilation process went ok.  You may need
    to use the MAKEDEV script to generate more pty devices
    in the etc directory. (you can cd /dev;ls pt* and see how
    many devices are there already).

                                    College of Arts & Sciences
                                    Computing Services
                                    John A. Booth, john@gab.unt.edu