Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 11:26:54 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirk.vangulik@jrc.it>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reading CIS in kernel

On Tue, Nov 10, 1998 at 12:03:27PM +0100, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Scott Mitchell wrote:
>
> > Anyhow, the Linux code supports a whole raft of different Xircom cards,
> > which it tells apart by checking various CIS tuples using the Linux Card
> > Services stuff.  This is (as far as I can tell) all done inside the kernel,
> > and there doesn't seem to be an easy way of doing that in FreeBSD, from my
> > reading of the /sys/pccard code.
>
> Yes, actually I communicated with the author of the pcard code, and came
> to the same conclusion (I was trying to get to the CIS to configure an IBM
> LAN Entry card).
>
> What I do now is an ioctl from userland, and I tried a hack by coping the
> bit before the io move in pcic.c. And do simple decoding (all I need is
> the MAC address).
>
> But no there is no clean way of doing it. It might be worthwhile to port
> the linux Tuple readers into the kernel (just the numeric data). Which
> part of the interface do _you_ need ?

I need the MAC address and the manufacturer ID tuple to differentiate
between the different cards.  If it was just the one card I'd hardcode the
location of all this stuff, but the Linux code supports various versions of
half a dozen different cards -- it would be a shame not to have the same
level of support in FreeBSD.

I don't suppose I could take a look at your code, if it's not in the dist
already?

Many thanks,

	Scott.